What happens when we see or learn of something that we don't necessarily like? If we know that this new information is correct, we can:
1. shut out the information and pretend we never heard it.
2. Try to learn a little bit more, and see if there is anything you can do to change it
3. or be bull headed that the things you learn and see are correct.
As an Indian, suppose someone said that the number of dowry deaths in my country are disturbingly high and i didn't know this, before the person told me.
1. pretend that this is absolutely false
2. Acknowledge the problem and see what I can do to fix it
3. or say that this is how it has been for centuries now and hence this must be right.
You would think a majority of people as highly educated and "well-informed" as a class of MBAs in a world class business school, would chose option 2. but sadly today, i learnt that well-informed or not, MBA or not, most people choose to react to negative information about their countries, societies and religion either by shutting it out or reacting extremely defensively.
What's my point? Well, nothing really. I just want people to be a little more open minded.